Thurmond WV was built in 1873 to service the trains that carried coal and timber to market and people who traveled to Cincinnati and Washington DC and places in between. By 1910, it was the heart of the New River Gorge and the center of the C&O railway mainline. That same year, 75,000 passengers passed through the town depot. The old storefronts stand silent but tell a story of those who lived and worked here or just passed through. We appreciate that the National Park Service continues preservation of this once very vital town. It was well worth the beautiful mountain drive to this wonderful place of history.